Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Peyote Tube Bead - WIP & Book Review

My next project is inspired by Starry Nights on page 54 of the book Bead Tube Jewelry by Nancy Zellers - this book is a 'must have'. It is full of fun projects to make with easy Peyote Bead Tubes. Lots of different charts for peyote patterns. Her Starry Night pattern is a bracelet and calls for 70 silver stars. I couldn't find enough stars in the right sizes, so I'm using the idea of the stars but it will be totally different and a necklace. I don't know if I'll use all the stars pictured here. I have some silver ones and some
Swarovski's crystal stars.
Delica's - I'm using all matte black #310
and galvanized silver #551. If you shop for delica's, you'll see #1831 is supposed to be a non-tarnishing silver, forget it. I purchased 1831 in Nov and they are still in the flip top box and seem to be turning color already, while I've had #551 for at least a year and a half and they are still bright silver.
Peyote Bead Tubes are made by making small strips of peyote stitch, even count is the easiest.
The small pieces are rolled and zipped up into a tube shape. I'll have more details in the next post. The tubes can be made small or large, and short to long in length. Delica beads make the
best tubes because the beads fit so tightly together.

No comments: